Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Another Year Down

I am sitting on the couch looking at Leighton finally asleep in his chair and I am thinking about everything that happened to us in 2011. What a year! We got back into our house on New Years Day and I still don't feel as though we are fully recovered from the flood we had in 2010. It is hard to explain how disruptive an event something like that can be.

We were fortunate to be able to welcome into our lives a beautiful little boy named Leighton Robert and I have been delighted at how our boys have taken to him. They ask after him and do what they can to take care of him in their own way.

Rhys has developed into a wonderfully sensitive child. He is also almost as big as Declan which is terrifying since Declan is tall for his age. Rhys is going to be a big kid no matter what and I think we are going to have to figure out how to harness his energy combined with the strength that he has.

Declan began JK which totally blows my mind. How is he already in school? I remember when we took him to look at daycare for the first time at 3 months old! He is flourishing in the environment and I am constantly surprised at how much he knows. It sounds corny but Louis Armstrong comes to mind... He really will learn much more than I'll ever know.

I watch both Declan and Rhys with my laptop and the iPad and they seem to instinctively understand them. I remember the first time I used a computer because it was such a foreign and exciting thing. For them it is natural.

My family celebrated two exciting events: My youngest sister Amy got married to a great guy who obviously thinks the world of her and has pledged to love and cherish her while my middle sibling Sara is getting married this year to her soul mate. My heart is full to bursting for both of them.

I was provided the opportunity to take Declan to England to meet my Grandmother for the first time. It was a first for both of us in so many ways. He took a flight for the first time and I was in charge of him on my own for a full week with no back-up. I think that we both pulled through with flying colours! Seeing him run to my Grandmother was one of the most heartwarming things I have ever seen him do and reinforces that he is one incredible kid. I know it made her day and the smile on her face justified the whole trip for me. He and I still talk about that week.

After 5 years at the same job I decided to call time on my career as a Concierge. I had achieved all that I was going to be able to do and was able to leave on my terms which I am proud of. I have entered into a new job which I am confident will lead to a career. It may take some time and will not be easy for the first little while but in the long run it is a good move I think.

Andrea and I made it through the year outnumbered. Three kids is ambitious to say the least and having three so close in age is providing unique challenges but I think that we are up to it. We are fortunate to have the support of our families which helps makes it easier.

It is impossible to explain the challenges that we have endured over the past couple of years but I think that our resilience and love will continue to help us through the toughest challenges that are thrown our way. We began our own blog to air some of our differing opinions and I have had fun writing it thus far. I hope that we can continue it both for ours enjoyment and the amusement of others.

No comments: